Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ubuntu

So a friend from work has encouraged me to start a blog about my adventures with learning Linux. I mostly use Ubuntu as I am a n00b, but am about to venture to Yellow Dog Linux for my PS3 console. I will be posting about this every step of the way.

Just recently I installed Compiz-Fusion 0.7.7 from the git repository on my Ubuntu hardy heron . I found a wonderful script and instructions by searching around on google for a bit. (http://www.xs4all.nl/~mgj1/compiz_git.htm)
..anyway , I had a problem where my firefox toolbar was missing the back buttons and some other functions after I installed the new compiz. instead of running to google for the answer, I started to look around and see what I though would be the best approch to fixing it before I went for someone elses help. this was the first time I just followed my instinct and knowledge with out researching it first. so I navigated to my home directory where , after working with linux for a while, I know most of my application prefrences are kept. usually programs will store user and application prefrences in folder off your home folder (and I am sure many other things I am not aware of). I saw the ".mozzila" folder. Inside this folder as anohter folder named firefox . sure enough the more file i looked at in this folder i started to noticed all the prefrences / bookmanrks /metadata were held here. I backed up the orginal /home/username/.mozzila/firefox to /home/username/.mozzila/backup.firefox and started firefox. as I suspected firefox recreated the folder with default prefrences and my toolbar was fixed. I know that this is nothing impressive to most linux users but to me it was the first time i ran into a problem i didnt have to run and google to get fixed. hopefully I will learn to trust my knowledge and instinct as time goes on and soon I will be able to troublehsoot and repair linux issues with speed and confidence.

Just an FYI, I always back up before making any change to my system and usually try stuff on a virtual machine with a recent snapshot before I do it on my host OS, I suggest you do the same. I am a N0000000B everyones system is different and I would not suggest blindly trying anything I talk about here. I am no expret and do not want to be responsible for breaking anyones install.

No comments: