Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Yellow dog linux

Well, I have been researching a lot of Linux distro's for my ps3 . I have decided to go with yellow dog. There is support for cell processor built in to the distro which is nice. There also seems to be a lot of support forums for it incase there are problems. I was very upset to find out that there are no NVIDIA drivers available for the NVIDIA gpu in the ps3. Sony allows you to tinker and install your own os, but I guess they want you to use their os for playing games. From what I understand all is not lost because when you take advantage of the cell processors in the ps3 it is possible to get somewhat decent graphic performance even without the gpu. Don't expect to play cod4. But compiz should run ok with some conservative settings =). Hopefully someone will find a way to access the NVIDIA gpu and we can really have some fun. I have a 40gb ps3 ........ I want to upgrade my hd. There was a digg article yesterday on how to (painlessly) upgrade your hd to 500gb which I am going to do as well. I will be taking some photos of the upgrade to post on here.

No comments: